Recipe: Classic Oven Braised Chuck Roast
Comfort food at its finest: hearty flavors, simple ingredients, and a few hours in the oven to fill your kitchen with a wonderful aroma.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours
Beef Chuck Roast4.5 lbsQty 2-3 Packages
Butcher’s Salt & Pepper1 Tbsp.Qty 1 Bottle$3.98
Beef Stock5 CupsQty 2 Cartons
French Onion and Garlic Poultry Seasoning2 tsp.Qty 1 Bottle$4.98
Bay LeavesQty 2 Leaves
Oregano Leaves1 tsp.Qty 1 Bottle$3.98
Garlic Cloves, choppedQty 4 Cloves
Large Onion, cut in large diceQty 1
Celery Stalks, cut in 1" piecesQty 2 Celery Stalks
Vegetable OilQty 2 Tbsp.
Carrots, cut 1" thick and kept in waterQty 2 Carrots
Small Potatoes, cut in half and kept in waterQty 5-6 Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine salt and pepper with additional tablespoon of salt. Season the chuck on both sides. Coat both sides with flour.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat and brown the beef about 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a roasting pan or Dutch oven. Add beef stock, bay leaves, oregano, garlic, onion, and celery. Cover and cook for about one and half hours.
- Uncover beef, add potatoes and carrots, cover and continue braising for one hour or until tender.* *USDA recommends cooking beef to an internal temperature of 145°F.